Harbor Reflections


Did you see the sunset? My friend asked shortly after I arrived- yes I did, it peaked as our ferry was entering the harbor. Walking along the pier I was mesmerized by the amount of undulating color that was a combination of shadows, reflections, the color of water and the brilliant hues of a spectacular sunset. But it was disappearing quickly and I had luggage and didn't feel like getting my camera out.

I returned diligently for the next few nights, video camera in hand eager to recapture what I saw. No such luck. The first night -dull but with some interesting black water ripples. The next night I mistimed it, it was dark by the time I arrived and the water was choppy. The third night- something completely different. Nothing like the first night- but much softer, the light was pink and dreamy and the reflections much more interesting on the other side of the pier. My attention was completely drawn to the hypnotic rippling mix of pastel light, reflected old painted boats and dark twisting shadows. It wasn't what I was expecting but it was equally beautiful.

Full Size
Soundtrack: Chopin, Etude In C Minor, Op. 10 No. 12